Every country has its own social mores and ways of doing things. You should, therefore, be aware that the following behaviour is considered unacceptable in Canada and could result in your host asking you to leave:
• Inviting friends to your homestay without asking your host’s permission at least 24 hours in advance;
• Having a friend sleep over in your room;
• Bringing drugs or alcohol into the home;
• Smoking in the home;
• Being disrespectful to any member of the family, especially to women;
• Not advising your host if you are a) going away for the weekend, b) staying out overnight or c) not coming home for supper;
• Should your host family impose a curfew, it must be respected.